The current page contains the following topics:
The Autofill feature allows to pre-populate some of the form/survey questions on behalf of respondents. You can also pre-populate hidden questions, and later use the autofilled data to set up a filter in reports or to track respondents.
To set up Autofill, follow the steps below:
Create a .CSV (comma separated values) Data file in UTF-8 encoding containing information you want to import.Click here to review the file requirements:
- This file should not contain the field headings (such as Email, Name, etc.).
- This file must contain the Email field. You can use only latin alphabet and numbers (a-z, A-Z, 0-9) for correct email address syntax. Do not use spaces or any other symbols (like &$ ; ,etc.). Your form/survey will be sent to the email addresses indicated in this field.
- If you send the same form/survey later using the option Email form to addresses I enter manually to email addresses indicated in the data source file, the autofilled information associated with them will be removed.
- Only commas can serve as delimiters/list separators (If your file contains other separators, you may need to change Regional Settings on your computer).
- If you autofill questions of Multiline or Single Line types, or text fields of other question types, no more than 1024 characters can be imported. The characters that exceed this limit will be cut off.
Select a form/survey to import the Data to.
Bring the form/survey questions in correspondence with the fields of the Data File you are going to import.
Click here to see how each question type is autofilled:
- It is recommended to place the questions you autofill at the beginning of your form/survey.
To autofill open ended questions, use a separate answer line for each field to be imported. For example, you can have only one Single Line question asking about 'demographic' information (name, email address, age etc.). The question will have three answer options, which correspond to three separate columns in the data file.
When autofilling the Single Line, Multiline, 'Other' fields, place the quotation marks around the comment, if the text includes any delimiters (such as , ; |, etc.)
To autofill questions with predefined answer choices where 1 selection is allowed, specify the exact label of the answer option which should be selected. For instance, if you are going to import information about respondent's gender and your answer choices are 'Male' and 'Female', the 'Gender' field of your data file should contain only one of these labels.
Type of Question How to Autofill
Number of Columns in the File
Section Header Does not have answer fields, so is not supported - Pick One or Other Specify the exact text of the selected option 1 field for the answer, 1 for 'Other' text Pick One or Comment
Specify the exact text of the selected option;
Comment field cannot be autofilled
1 Check All that Apply Specify the responses as 0 or 1 (0 - unselected answer, 1 - selected answer). As many as answer options in the question;
a separate field for 'Other' text
Specify the exact text of the selected option 1 List Box Specify the responses as 0 or 1 (0 - unselected answer, 1 - selected answer). As many as answer options in the question;
a separate field for 'Other' text
Single Line text with Pre-format Options Specify the answer to each question field in a separate column As many as answer options in the question Multiline Text Response Specify the text that should be autofilled. 1 Rate Different Items along the Scale of Your Choice Specify the number of the selected column for each answer option As many as answer options in the question Compare One Against Another Specify the rating of each answer (how many times it was selected) As many as answer options in the question 3D Matrix not supported, but can be autofilled separately using
Autofiller for 3D Matrix Questions plugin
- Numeric Allocation Specify the numeric value for each answer
As many as answer options in the question plus the Total field.
The total can be left empty as it is calculated automatically.
Object Lookup Specify the Unique Key of the selected data object 1 Multiple Object Lookup Specify the Unique Keys of the selected data objects 1 (multiple objects should be separated with the | symbol) File UploadTo pre-fill the File upload question type, use the following methods:
- Upload a .CSV file with the list of the links to files.
Two types of links are supported - http/https or ftp links. For instance, ftp://user:password@path/image.jpg
The Link to the files must contain the file extension.
This is the correct format of the link: http://domainname/image.jpg
Upload a .ZIP archive.
This archive should include the files that have to be uploaded and a .CSV file with the list of files' names.
All files that have to be uploaded must be placed directly in the archive root.
This means, that these files cannot be placed in the subfolder of the archive.
Please note that only the following types of files are supported:
- .PNG, .BMP, .JPG, .GIF - it is possible to upload, view and download files of these types;
- .TIFF images - only upload and download options are available;
- .PDF, .DOC, .PPT, .XLS, .AVI, .MP3 - only upload and download options are available.
In case it is impossible to download the file (for instance, a link to the file is broken,
or the file download/upload is too slow), the system will skip this file.
As many as answer options in the question
- Go to the Forms/Surveys > Launch page.
- Click on the Send email invitation with individual Survey links option.
- Choose Import email list for bulk form distribution option under the second step and click the Format Data File button.
- Specify the questions to which the data should be imported. To do it, select the questions in the Accessible Form Questions column and add them to Autofill These Questions column. Your import file has to match this structure.
- Indicate the number of the column, which stores Respondents' Emails. If you need to send more than one unique link to the same email address, use Allow duplicate email addresses feature, and specify the number of the file column which stores unique codes (passwords).
Select the Overwrite option if you wish to allow respondents to edit the pre-populated data. If this option is not selected, your respondents will be able to see the autofilled data (if the questions are visible) but won't be able to edit it.If the question is hidden, the Overwrite option will automatically unhide the corresponding question on the Questions page. If you would like to hide the question, you should first apply the settings on Format Data File page and after that activate the Hide option on the Edit Form/Survey page.
Make sure your file has the same number of fields as listed below on the Format Data File page. For instance, if you need to autofill a Single Line question with three answer options, and a Pick One or Other question, your file should have four columns:
- Click the Save button to save the Autofill settings.
Click Back to return to the Email Form/Survey page.
- Import your Data File and click Send Email.
Here is the information stored in your Data Source, which you want to import to your form/survey:
|Name||Phone Number||Department||Attended Trainings on||Manager||Company policy||Product overview||Work processes||Best Practices||File|
|John Smith||JSmith@domain.com||674-67-61||Marketing||Wednesday, Friday||Carly Marks||Very Good||Excellent||Very Good||Very Good||Practical_Task1.docx|
|Barbara Brown||BBrown@domain.com||786-44-09||Sales||Monday, Tuesday||Alexa Obrien||Excellent||Very Good||Fair||Excellent||Practical_Task2.docx|
|Peter Young||PYoung@domain.com||534-94-23||Sales||Wednesday, Thursday, Friday||Brynn Boyd||Fair||Fair||Very Good||Fair||Practical_Task3.docx|
|Mary Jordan||MJordan@domain.com||634-32-21||Accounting||Monday||Tara E. Cherry||Excellent||Excellent||Very Good||N/A||Practical_Task4.docx|
|Helen Williams||HWilliams@domain.com||674-67-54||Consulting||Tuesday, Friday||John Burns||Fair||Very Good||Fair||Excellent||Practical_Task5.docx|
Your form/survey questions, which will be pre-populated may be set up like this:
Your .CSV Data file should be configured the following way:
(Note that the order of Data file fields corresponds to the order of questions):
Your Format Data File page settings will look like this:
If you use the Autofill feature together with Logic transitions, please note that Autofilled data will not be displayed in reports if respondent skips autofilled questions while filling out a form. To avoid this, place the autofilled questions at the beginning of your form, and make sure that logical transitions do not affect them.
On the Data Flow page you can setup mapping between survey questions and fields of the Contact Manager.
Left pane lists all survey questions and indicates question types. In the right pane you will see the list of Contact manager fields, and their format. Fields that are marked with the Lock icon can be used for the From synchronization to pre-populate survey questions only, for example: ID field that is used as the unique identifier the To direction of synchronization for such fields is not allowed.
To setup mapping follow these steps:
- Select survey item for the mapping. You can select separate answer choices for the questions that allow multiple answers selection, for example: Check All that Apply.
- Map selected survey item with the field of the Contact Manager from the right pane.
- Choose the data flow direction:
To - after survey is completed, data overwrites Contact Manager data.
From - when respondents open the survey, questions will be pre-populated with the data from the Contact Manager.
To and From - in this case data flows in both directions.
Both From and To and From types of synchronization can be used to create new contacts in the Contact Manager for new respondents.
- Click the Apply Mapping button to apply mapping for the selected items.
- Follow steps 1-4 again to apply mapping to other items.
The Overwrite with empty values option is used if respondents leave a question unanswered and you want delete data from the appropriate field in the Contact Manager. This is applicable for the To and To and From synchronization types. If this option is not activated and respondents leave unanswered questions, Contact Manager records will remain the same.
|Question Type||Data Flow Direction||Contact Manager Fields Format|
Pick One or 'Other', Pick One with 'Comment'
General - text of both survey item and Contact Manager field must match.
Number>0, Decimal number - sequence number of the survey item is used. Decimal values are truncated to Integer.
Check All that apply
General - "Yes" is used as a selected value, "No" as not selected.
"1" is used as a selected value, "0" as not selected for the following fields:
Single Line Text with Pre-format Options (not formatted), Muliline
|<<||Any Contact Manager field|
Single Line Text with Pre-format Options (any format type), Muliline
Single Line Text with Pre-format Options (formatted)
Format of the survey item and Contact Manager field must match.
Number>0, Decimal number
Rate different items along the scale of your choice
General - text of both survey item and Contact Manager field must match.
Number>0, Decimal number - sequence number of the question column is used. Decimal values are truncated to Integer.
|Mapping can be set with all Contact Manager fields depending on the question items format. Please see above all possible cases for Pick One, Check All, Dropdown and Text elements.|
Any numeric field in Contact Manager:
Number>0, Decimal number
Some survey and contact manager fields have mapping peculiarities:
- Answer choices for the multichoice question types such as Check All that Apply and Listbox that are left not answered may overwrite data in the Contact Manager with the zero or empty values if the To or the To and From mapping type is set.
- You can map Rate different items along the scale of your choice question type with the Percent, % data field in the Contact Manager. The data will be converted in the following way: scale will be treated as 100%, which will be divided among all items in equal parts. For example: each item in the five-items scale will possess 20%; first selected item corresponds to 20%, second item to 40%, third item to 60%, fourth item to 80% and the fifth one to 100%.
To apply this feature you need to do the following:
- Go to the Launch page and select the Embed the Survey into your website, blog, or application distribution method.
- Select Pop-Up survey code option;
- Enable pop-up to a particular IP address only. To do it set the value of var enableip equal to the desired IP address (e.g. var enableip='127.15.15.1' - the survey will pop up only for visitors from IP address 127.15.15.1);
- Enable pop-up to a group of IP addresses only. When you set the value of var enableip, put 0 (zero) instead one or more bytes of IP address to make it a group (e.g. var enableip='127.15.15.0' - the survey will pop-up only for visitors from IP addresses 127.15.15.1; 127.15.15.2 ... 127.15.15.255; var enableip='127.15.0.0' - the survey will pop up only for visitors from IP addresses beginning with 127.15. etc.);
- Disable pop-up to a particular IP address. To do it set the value of var disableip equal to the desired IP address (e.g. var disableip='127.15.15.1' - the survey will not pop up for visitors from IP address 127.15.15.1).
- Disable pop-up to a group of IP addresses. When you set the value of var disableip, put 0 (zero) instead one or more bytes of IP address to make it a group.
- IP address consists of 4 (four) bytes (IP address format is X.X.X.X) each byte can possess the value from 0 to 255.
- If you set the byte value as 0 it means that you choose not a single IP address but a group of them.
- If an IP address is indicated as a value of both variables var enableip and var disableip it will be treated as DISABLED.
- If you do not want to control the survey process by enabling/disabling certain IP addresses set the default values of variables: var enableip="" and var disableip="".
This option is used to manage respondents if a form/survey was distributed via Email to contacts from the Contact Manager, publishing to User Portal and Mobile App or protecting form/survey with passwords features.
Once a form/survey has been distributed, you will be able to view and manage the list of respondents. To do this, click the Manage responses link that appears automatically after a form/survey launch in the Form/Survey information pane:
It has two modes available:
- Profile Information - this mode shows contacts data from respective Contact manager:
- Response Status - in this mode you can view a participant status, dates when a participant was invited and define custom form/survey availability dates per each contact. This is commonly used if you want to expand or shorten participation dates if the respondent has no ability to fill out your form/survey in time:
Hover over the columns with the arrow sign to be able to sort contacts based on that column.
Also, you may click the Columns option and disable/enable some columns, which appear on this page:
If at least one contact is selected, then the following options become available at the bottom of the page:
- Re-send Invitations Use this option to resend the original Form/Survey Invitation to the selected contacts.
- Lock contacts Once a contact is locked, then a form/survey that was published on the portal will not appear on it in a list of forms available for this contact. If the contact had a unique form/survey link, then the following message will be displayed upon the link opening: "The access to this form has been locked by the form administrator."
- Unlock contacts This option allows unlocking the access to the particular form for a selected user.
Export Contacts to Excel/CSV option allows to export a list of contacts along with the information about their Participant status, Individual start and end dates, etc.
The URL Import feature can help you track from which URL the respondent has entered the form/survey. You may also use the imported data later in the reports if necessary. You may import one or multiple parameters to the same or different questions.
To apply this feature, follow these steps:
- Create/modify a question of the Single Line Text with Pre-Format Option, Check All That Apply or List Box type;
Click on the Wrench icon to the right of the answer option field;
Select Import from URL check box and enter the parameter name into the URL import field;Click here for more details:
Alternatively, you can switch to the Standard mode and insert the following tag straight into the answer option field - <import param="XXX"/>, where XXX is the unique parameter name. Paste it next to the answer option label.
You must not use the following values as parameter names: onunload, validateTime, ARGS, LQID, i_n_f, Dir, surveyID, CharsetLine, goNextPage.y, goNextPage.x, RID, SID, RespondentID, pwd, pwd2, ALL_QIDS, EMAIL, WebPoll, SFObj, SFObjID, integrationSurveyID, ALL_COLUMNS, ALL_QUESTIONS, dispLinkId, globalFormID, logicPluginMenu, rspEmailAddress, startTime, VMOD
- Save your question.
- Afterwards, you can take Master URL from the Launch page, which looks like this:
Your modified Master URL may look like this:
You can also modify the link automatically by means of your software. Then you can distribute the Master URL using your own email client.
You can use the tag <import param="XXX"/> several times in your form/survey, however, the parameter names must be unique. The parameters within your survey link must be separated with "&", for example:
The parameter names are case-insensitive, therefore avoid using identical entries written in a different case, as they will be considered duplicates.
To import data from URL into the other or comment fields of the Pick one question type, insert tag <import param="XXX"/> into the answer text of these fields.
- To import data from URL into the Pick one or Other, Pick one with Comment, Dropdown, Check all that apply question types you need to insert the tag <import param="XXX"/> in the question text box directly. You must turn off WYSIWYG mode beforehand and paste the tag in a simple edit mode or use the source code option by clicking the button on the WYSIWYG panel. When editing the form/survey Master URL you should use the following format: http://app.form.com/f/1130952/1102/?LQID=1&XXX=1, where 1 is the sequence number of the answer option that will be selected. You may also use the exact answer label of the needed answer option, f.e., http://app.form.com/f/1130952/1102/?LQID=1&XXX=No.
This feature can be used if you distribute the survey via your mail system and need to use unique links with your own unique identifiers.
There should be software on your local server that will convert your unique identifier into a URL encoded line and add it to the survey link.
If there is no special software for converting your unique identifier into a URL encoded line, you can generate unique links using Excel.
- Copy your modified Master URL (including suffix denotatum) on the Launch page;
- Launch Excel and paste the Master URL under the 1-st column;
Fill as many rows with the same Master URL within a 1-st column as needed;
Select the cell you want to copy and drag the fill handle across the cells you want to fill, and then release the mouse button.
- Under the 2-nd column insert the unique identifiers. The number of rows under both columns should be the same;
- Point the cell under the 3-rd column and enter the formula: =CONCATENATE(A1,B1). Click Enter;
- Select this cell and drag the fill handle across the needed number of cells within a column, then release the mouse button.
- The URL suffix must include a suffix denotatum and a unique identifier.
Your modified link will look like this:
, where insurance_note is a suffix denotatum and 1092 is a unique identifier.
- The suffix denotatum is specified by your account representative on User Account Administration page.
Once the suffix denotatum is specified, you should relogin to your account for the changes take place.
- The suffix denotatum will be added to all your survey links within an account.
- Then the unique identifiers should be added to the links with the help of software on your local server.
- The survey takers are identified by the suffixes within your network.
- URL suffix works instead of cookies.
- Suffixes are shown in survey reports by respondent.
- This feature works only with Master URL (you can find this on the Launch page).
- The respondents cannot take the survey via Master URL if they do not have a valid suffix.
- When you take a survey via Master URL removing the suffix from it you will see the alert: Page not found.
- You can use only latin alphabet and numbers (a-z, A-Z, 0-9).
- Do not use spaces or any other symbols (like @, &, $ etc..) in your suffixes.
- Do not use the following words as suffixes: onunload, validateTime, ARGS, LQID, i_n_f, Dir, surveyID, CharsetLine, goNextPage.y, goNextPage.x, RID, SID, RespondentID, pwd, pwd2, ALL_QIDS, EMAIL, WebPoll, SFObj, SFObjID, integrationSurveyID, ALL_COLUMNS, ALL_QUESTIONS, dispLinkId, globalFormID, logicPluginMenu, rspEmailAddress, startTime, VMODE.